Coco Chanel's 5 Major Fashion Rules
by ZALORA Community Hong Kong
Legendary French fashion designer Coco Chanel was a woman of many wise adages. Her inspiring quotes are very much like her classic yet forward-thinking designs. Even till today, the French style icon's sayings continue to influence the way people think and dress.
Little wonder that French dressing is remains to be something many women around the world emulate and regard as the epitome of chic. Parisian women seem be able to effortlessly exude style, class, and feminine charm.
But Parisian chic is not as complicated (in fact, it is the opposite of complicated) as you might think, not if you follow Coco Chanel's simple yet timeless golden rules:
1. "Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress."
In other words, wear your clothes, don't let your clothes wear you. Parisian women carry themselves in an assured (but not conceited) way that makes them show-stopping. They are masters of the effortless chic look.
The key secret to dressing like a Parisian is believing that YOU are the statement and that your clothes are simply there to accessorise your look.
2. "It is always better to be slightly under-dressed."
Parisian women go for the no-frills look. Literally. Anything too embellished, over-the-top or garish, they avoid. Instead, they go for a subtle, classic look with lots of tailored pieces and lush fabrics. Go for muted neutrals with interesting details or architectural cutting that make your outfit one of a kind.
Dress simply but elegantly. That means no over-sized clothing or anything too tight. (Fitted does not mean tight! A tailored cut results in a slimmer silhouette.
3. "Fashion changes, but style endures."
There are certain clothes that are timeless enough to last for decades and still look relevant. These classic pieces are what you need to invest in. Stock up on these key items in your closet:
- A little black dress (think Audrey Hepburn)
- A crisp white shirt (à la Emma Watson, above)
- A black skirt (knee length and A-line is the most flattering cut)
- A leather jacket
- A lightweight cashmere cardigan -they are highly versatile and you can experiment with different colours
- A fitting pair of dark denim jeans or jeggings that you can dress up or down
- A pair of tailored black pants for a polished look.
- A pair of stylish and comfortable shoes - heels, flats, or boots
- A quality handbag
- Scarves in all shapes, sizes, and colours
4. "A fashion that does not reach the streets is not a fashion."
French woman are subtly sexy, effortlessly stylish and always confident. They never look too over-the-top or shabby, but can fit right into any occasion with a few key pieces that she either dresses up or down. She can take to the streets in a classic trench coat or cashmere sweater, comfy flats, a ballerina bun, jeans, and a scarf - and then dress up her look for the evening with red lipstick and a structured coat.
5. "In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different."
French women shop at chain stores as much as anybody else but they buy less, preferring quality, investment pieces to the latest fad quantity. In other words, things that will last the time. Instead, they go for key accessorise that give their look a personal stamp.
Accessories such as a simple statement ring or a diamond necklace are all a girl needs for that extra sparkle.
Are you a fan of Parisian dressing? What other fashion philosophies of Coco Chanel do you live by? Share them in the Comments section below!